You are here: Our area
Deutsch
English
Saturday, September 23, 2017

Our Allgäu

Here are a few suggestions for outings in our area:

The best lakes for swimming
Neuschwanstein castle 
Hohenschwangau castle
Pilgrimage church Maria Hilf in Speiden
Beuße wood carvings
Museums
Summer toboggan run
Füssen

The best lakes for swimming

Schwansee

Lake Schwansee

Between Füssen and Hohenschwangau turn right at Alterschrofen. Nice place for swimming, no entrance fee (nor at the lakes listed below). Five minutes walk from the car park.

 

Schwansee at google maps

Füssen's lakes

In Bad Faulenbach there are facilities for swimmers at the three lakes Obersee, Mittelsee and Untersee which are 5-20 minutes' walk from the car park in Bad Faulenbach next to the tennis courts. Refreshments are available.
The Füssen lakes at google maps

 

 

 

 

Alpsee

Lake Alpsee

with a wonderful old lido an the southeastern shore of the lake. Surrounded by mountains and with a view of the castles, it can be reached by car or bicycle via Hohenschwangau. 15 minutes walk from the car park.
Alpsee at google maps

 

 

 

 

Alatsee

Alatsee

somewhat colder than the Alpsee, restaurant right by the lake. The Alatsee has become well known lately as it is the scene of a local very popular thriller.
Alatsee at google maps

Hopfensee

Lake Hopfensee

is the best known and therefore most visited lake in the region. Diametrically opposite from the touristic shore at Hopfen there are some quieter corners in the southwest of the lake. There are plenty of restaurants, notably the Wiesbauer and along the promenade. Boats for hire, crazy golf and other attractions. 
Hopfensee at google maps

Füssener Seen

Lake Faulensee

in the Hopfen woods is a small, very warm moor lake. It is 30 minutes from Enzensberg and about 20 minutes from Rieden. There is a small kiosk for refreshments.

Neuschwanstein Castle

Open daily from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Symbol of German Romanticism. A dream castle built by King Ludwig II 1869 - 1886 in magnificent mountain scenery on a steep rock rising above the Pöllat gorge, facing the castle Hohenschwangau in the valley below. The building was started in 1868. The unique Gothic architecture was designed by the stage designer Christian Jank and realised by the architect Eduard Riedel. A major contribution was also made by Julius Hofmann. When the king died in 1886 the castle, scene of the next to last act in the royal drama, was not yet finished. However the royal living quarters and the ballroom were almost complete. The keep and the chapel were still missing and only the bower enclosing the courtyard was finished.

The building was modelled on the romantic Wartburg castle. Highlights are the two ceremonial halls: the Hall of the Singers and the Throne Hall. This famous castle is closely linked with Richard Wagner's operas and pays homage to him. The castle is King Ludwig's flight from the sober, every day world, a world that failed to understand him, into a never-never land full of yearning, an almost unachievable solitude. Nowadays the castle Neuschwanstein has about 1.5 million visitors every year.

Hohenschwangau Castle

Schloss Hohenschwangau

Open daily from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Built by Maximilian II from 1832 to 1836, the design reflects English castles. The history of this beautifully sited castle goes back to the 12th century. In 1538 the medieval fortifications were torn down and by 1547 a castle had been built that has remained in the possession of the Bavarian dynasties since 1567. It was modified many times and finally destroyed in 1809. The crown prince Maximilian - later King Maximilian II of Bavaria - had the ruin rebuilt in 1833 as a summer residence in Biedermeier style. The plans were drawn up by the famous stage designer Domenico Quaglio, but after his death the architects Ohlmüller and Ziebland took over. The building has four storeys and corner towers. The style of the period can be perceived in the interior decoration of the castle. Sagas and history provided themes painted in 1835 and 1836 on the basis of drafts by Moritz von Schwind. The swan fountain in the park was designed by Ludwig Schwanthaler.

 

 

 

Beuße Wood Carvings

The word carving business Beuße GmbH on the Dienewald premises is steeped in tradition, like so many things in Maria Hilf / Eisenberg.

The year-round exhibition of Christmas cribs is frequently admired, and both locals and well-informed visitors also know that a suitable present or souvenir for oneself or as a gift can always be found there. A wood carving for example, or a semi-finished carving for an enthusiastic wood-carving beginner. Just look around the various showrooms without any obligation.

 

 

 

www.holzschnitzereien-beusse.de   info@holzschnitzereien-beusse.de Dolder Straße 2 · 87637 Eisenberg-SpeidenTelephone: 08364 / 432 · Telefax: 08364 / 8611Semi-finished carvings:Am Schönebach 2 · 87637 Eisenberg-Osterreuthen

Pilgrimage church Maria Hilf in Speiden

Walfahrtsjirche in Speiden

A visit to the church is a popular outing in the region. Originally there was only a chapel at this site, the Lady chapel, which had been built after the Great Plague in 1635/36. It soon proved to be too small as numerous stories of prayers being granted brought flocks of pilgrims seeking help. 156 miracles are reported between 1635 and 1657.
A church adjacent to the chapel was started in 1644 and finished already by 1647. But in 1660 a new building was begun which was consecrated in 1676. Further extensions and renovations have been carried out over the years, the most recent being 1995/96.

 

Museums

Eisenberg-Zell

Castle museum in the center of Zell. Open Saturdays and Sundays from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Füssen

Town museum in the former monastery in the historic center. Open Tuesdays to Sundays from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Summer toboggan runs

Tegelberg/ Schwangau:

10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., 750 m long
Telephone: 08368-98350

Nesselwang:

1000 m long
Telephone: 08361-923040

And last but not least a few words about Füssen

Füssen

Füssen was founded as the Roman mansio "Foetibus" on the Via Claudia Augusta that leads from Rome to Augsburg. Around 725 AD the Allgäu apostle Magnus, who died here in 750, settled as a missionary. His settlement developed into the Benedictine abbey which came under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Augsburg in 1310 until 1803.

Füssen's prosperity as a stockyard of Italian trade depended on the well-being of Augsburg. There are still picturesque town houses with Gothic façades dating from this period. Parts of the town wall with fortified towers and battlements are still visible. Füssen received its town charter in 1294 and was fortified at the beginning of the 14th century. Badly damaged during the 30 Year's War, Füssen was largely destroyed by fire in 1703. Pledged to the Bishops of Augsburg in 1313, Füssen became Bavarian in 1803.

The fortified castle dating from the 13th century was converted by the bishop as a summer residence known as the "Hohes Schloss". The buildings surround a spacious courtyard with a castle chapel. The Knights' Hall and the State room with well preserved beams and a coffered ceiling dating from around 1500 are in good condition. In 1745 the Peace of Füssen between the Empress Maria Theresa and the Elector Maximilian III ended Bavarian participation in the War of Austrian Succession.

At the foot of the castle hill is the Baroque Collegiate Church of St. Mang, built, stuccoed and painted 1701 - 1717 by the Allgäuer master builder Johann Georg Herkomer. It is a huge triple-naved building with a transept. Foundations from the Romanic era and the St. Mang crypt from the early Romanic era are preserved.

Dear guests, we wish you lots of fun exploring the picturesque Alpine foothills and can give you tips for your outings!